Saturday, May 26, 2007

Communication

Is probably one of the most important things in life. The people closest to me are the ones I communicate best with and who make the effort to return the favor. Communication includes constructive criticism and I think it's a very healthy thing to hear occasionally. The roomie and I had a discussion the other day about how I basically have no patience anymore. She thinks, and I concur, that it's partly because I often take on the responsibility of planning events voluntarily and then when I get additional questions related to the event I sometimes get annoyed and snappy. I think I've adopted the mentality where anything that takes up additional time (that I don't want to give) is a waste. I think the other part of this is from growing up in NY. The pace is so fast and I love it but after taking a month off to travel where I basically lost all concept of time and then to come back...it takes some adjusting and getting used to. My point is, is that I need the roomie to point it out to me. Now I'm aware of it I'll adjust my temper accordingly. Done and done. Isn't that much easier? I told her that I appreciated her taking the time to talk to me because I don't want to be snappy and I don't want her to live with someone like that. It's a good situation all around and I would dare say that this is why we're so close. We're unafraid to analyze and constructively criticize so it works. I think this mentality has infiltrated other relationships in my life as well so I do get frustrated when others don't communicate as efficiently but everyone's different so what can I do. I hope eventually to get to that level with most people I encounter because I find it the way to be. Just know that I'd rather chat then not and would generally rather be aware of shortcomings so that I can work on them. Capiche? Fabulous! I'm off to enjoy the sunshine. Go forth!

No comments: