Thursday, May 17, 2007

How lucky am I?

So I was writing this cover letter last night that asked me to recount every place I've been including dates, duration and highlights. As an hour ticked away I realized just how m*therflippin' lucky I am to have been able to go to all these awesome places.

I was born in Hong Kong and came back and forth from New York for at least 10 years of my youth. In high school (1997) I spent 10 days touring the Italian trifecta (Rome, Florence and Venice). During my senior year (1998) I traveled to London, Bath and Edinburgh. Once at college I studied abroad in London (January- May of 2001) for 5 months but not before I spent New Years in Hong Kong over 10 days. While abroad I had the opportunity to explore Prague (6 days), Paris (twice-4 days each time), a day trip to Versailles, two weeks in Greece and Italy for Spring Break (including Athens, Mykonos, Poros, Hydra, Rome, Florence, and Venice), Brussels, Amsterdam (4 days), Barcelona (6-days), Ibiza (3-days). I believe that's the extent of my international travels through college. Once I graduated the following year (2002), I spent three weeks of June/July on a Eurail pass touring through Milan, Barcelona, Alicante, Nice, Juan-les-Pins, Antibes, Cannes, the most special were Lugano and Interlaken both of which were part of my first visit to the Swiss half of my heritage and where I went skydiving for the first time. Over Thanksgiving of 2003 I spent 7-days in Rio de Janeiro including an excursion to Ilha Grande and thus starting the tradition of travel during that holiday which affords office folk a few extra vacation days. In 2004 I spent 7-days in Buenos Aires where there is amazing shopping, steak and discovered my favorite type of wine to date, Malbec. The following year I went back to Rio (2005), this time spending 4 days in the resort area of Buzios (10 days total). Over July 4th weekend I drove up to Montreal and spent 4 days there. In November of 2006, I spent 10 days driving through Madrid and Andalucia (including Sevilla, Marbella, Malaga, Granada, Jerez (home of Spanish Port wine), and Cadiz). This year I spent 10 days in Buenos Aires and Mendoza (home of Malbec wine), then one month in the South Pacific including Fiji, New Zealand (Auckland, Taupo, Tauranga and Rotorua) and Australia (Sydney, Melbourne and Hunter Valley wine region). Upon my return stateside I took my first trip down to New Orleans over a long weekend. In between these trips I traveled to and from Toronto, San Francisco and Miami to visit extended family.

No comments: