Monday, May 7, 2007

The Five Boro

It's the second year I've done the Five Boro Bike Tour and I say it went faster this year. Mike thinks it's bc we listened to musica and thus created a distraction from the mindless pedaling. Mr. Canadia could be right. We finished at 12:30PM. Pretty much on par with last year and once again Jen bailed on us before reaching the 5th boro. We joked that next year we'll rent a tandem for 3 people, if that even exists, and then she'll actually make it to Staten Island. Though perhaps she made the right choice since we were stuck on the island of Staten longer than we liked since the ferries weren't running properly. But per the usual, we made the best of it and hung out at the Cargo Cafe until the line of bikers and bikes waiting for the ferry dissipated a bit. In the meantime, The Law and company joined us at the cafe and expanded the party. We finally made it back to the main island 7ish and then rendezvoused with Cholita and Lan at The Barking Dog after some drunken pedaling up the West Side Highway and then across town. Super safe, I know. Sometimes I think about how lucky I am to not be dead or severely injured from my frequent stupidity.

In any case, I've decided to start this blog because rather than bombard my friends inboxes with my musings I'll let them read this when they have the time and because many people have told me I should. I'm easily convinced, what can I say? And what better time to do it than right now, between jobs? Since I started journaling more frequently during my travels I find that I often want to write down my thoughts and share them but am never quite sure where and who'd be interested. I've actually thought about scanning in my journals but instead have chosen to copy excerpts to the numerous social networking sites I belong to, most often Facebook.

I don't know what I hope to accomplish by sharing my thoughts but I do find it cathartic. It makes life easier for me if people know what I think and how I operate. It saves me some explaining and sometimes I think I express myself better in writing than I do otherwise. I don't like repeating myself much so this kind of a forum works even better.

So what have I done today you ask? Not much, except start this blog and make an appointment to donate platelets (http://princeliamthebrave.blogspot.com/index.html) for tomorrow morning. I've never even met him but I do know his mother in her professional capacity. She's always been awesome to me and nothing tortures me more than hearing about not-so-well kids. It seems so unfair, he's not even 3 yrs old. I recognize that there are sick people everywhere but young Liam's story struck a chord with me and I felt like there's something I can actually do so there you go.

Spring is here and Summer is around the corner. How exciting. I made a list awhile back about all the things I want to do this summer including Summerstage, P.S.1, WTB, outdoor movie nights (at the Piers or Bryant Park), Hyde Park Drive-In, and wine tasting just to mention a few and I can't wait to get started. We had our first rooftop picnic this weekend and it was just a preview of the fun times that await as the weather gets warmer. I think the only reason I can deal with winter, besides indulging my coat fetish, is that it makes me appreciate the sunnier months much more. Hopefully, the temps keep climbing and the skies only get more beautiful.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll be the first to comment on your blog. I think it's a great idea. A centralized place where Barb fans alike can see what she has done, or will be doing. I've already added the website to my favorites! :P

Unknown said...

Me too. Always a treat to see what Barbarella's up to! Did you get that tat yet? Sending the monies in the mail today love. Text me when you get it! Maybe I should email transfer it to you instead? It would be easier.

lovelovelove you.