Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Pet peeves

It’s a wonder how people you’re close to can still be so innately different but I guess that’s the wonder of being human right? Everyone is built differently and one thing that affects one person may be something someone else doesn’t give a second thought to. It’s all insanely interesting to me yet, on occasion, drives me mad. A lot of people don’t read, listen, or ‘do’ carefully in my humble opinion. Perhaps it’s all used up in their professional capacities? Maybe they don’t feel the need to keep to the same standard with people who are supposed to be casual friends. Perhaps they just don’t care to or think of it as necessary? And that is all fine. People are entitled to their ways of being but it’s SO opposite to my behavior that I’m having a hard time comprehending it. Of course, any hardship I’m having is self-imposed. I mean, how can I fault other people if I’m the only one who cares? Or just one of the few. Is it nitpicky? Don’t I have better things to worry about? Why do some behavioral things in other people irritate me so? I’m normally so laid back yet the few things in this genre can get me riled up oh-so-quickly. I guess there’s a reason why it’s my #1 pet peeve. I wonder where that expression comes from. Is it because the peeve becomes so much a part of the person that it’s considered a pet? Ha.

Wax on. Wax off. Over and out.

2 comments:

Angela Law said...

yeah. where does that come from? and why do we need to own it like that? can it not be a "pet's peeve?" I wouldn't give an ish if it were my pet who was having a peeve. why does it have to be mine. although, i'm with you barb, i have such issues about other people's behavioral issues that i'd probably get mad at my pet for having a peeve to begin with. like garfield. the fact that garfield was always so peeved kind of annoyed me. but it never annoyed me as much as this comment is peeving me...so, i stop.

Jessica Strachan said...

You know, I never thought of it that way. This is my pet, Peeve. We sometimes call him Peevy or Peeved but he mostly responds to annoying habits like leaving hair around the sink, blowing smoke in his face, talking with food in your mouth, never checking your sources, and bad driving. Otherwise, peeve just sits and pants.