Monday, July 23, 2007

On a lighter note

And now for something not so heavy I'd like to write about some wine. Until I can Yelp about it, I'll put some of my faves here. I recently ordered the Dyed-in-the-Wool 2005 Sauvignon Blanc from of Winestilsoldout.com. I confess, I bought it for 3 reasons:

1. The label is awesome.
2. It's from Marlborough, New Zealand, an area famous for sauvys.
3. Please see 1.

Then I opened the bottle. By now, winos know that screw caps are no longer just for cheapo bottles. It seems that it's mostly the French and Italian wine making traditionalists who are the die hard cork users these days. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I believe that cork can certainly add flavor to a wine that'll be aged but I ain't in that price realm yet. I tend to stick to the $10 and under category. The wine is delicious. It's light. It's slightly tart. Not too fruity. Not much of a scent though I venture to say that it tastes better than what you can smell. Overall, I would say it's a great summer wine and a good value at that.

This is another fave white; Hofer GrĂ¼ner Veltliner 2006 (Auersthal, Austria). First of all, it comes in and awesome liter sized green bottle that has a bottle cap top. Beat that! Beer drinkers then to think it's some ginormous brew they've never seen. I know I know. I'm being superficial here by going with looks when I should be going by taste but honestly if winemakers don't put effort into presentation I probably wont buy it. It's a whole package deal for me. This is another perfect summer white that goes down REAL easy. Especially when it's very chilled. I've brought it to a few people's homes when I've been invited over and it has been a hit every time. I've never had someone try it that didn't like it. It's smooth. Light. Tasty.

Now for my favorite red; Enrique Foster Malbec Reserva 2003 (Mendoza, Argentina). This MAY be my all-time favorite. I had it twice the last time I was in Argentina this past February at two different restaurants and both times it was spectacular. Spectacular. It was a special the night at Gran Bar Danzon (my fave resty in Buenos Aires, possibly one of my faves in the universe, at the risk of sounding like a snot). Full disclosure, Malbecs are my favorite in general but this one was on another level. It had SO much flavor. So deep, rich, and gorgeous. It's tasty very indulgent, so much so that it almost felt sinful. Everyone at our table loved it and there were 4 discerning gay men with me. Tough crowd right? I highly recommend it, and at $20 it's a bargain. This is one of the few bottles I'd cross over the $10 threshold for. I love it. Desperately. I've never loved a wine so much from the start. P.S. This bodega only makes Malbecs so I'm betting that the others are pretty damn good as well though I've never really had any.

ENJOY!

No comments: