Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Reflections

The first day back from a great trip is always rough, probably one of the things I dislike the most about traveling while gainfully employed. Australia was different, didn't have the pressures of work to come back to. But today everything was kosher for Passover.

On hindsight, the trip was amazing and unlike anything I've ever done. To have a good friend taking you around their country, making every effort to show you the best...I've never really had that. Granted I could have also done with a bit more time to just stroll around but I can always do that next time.

The depth of Japanese cuisine shocked me. The depth of Japanese cuisine beyond seafood completely knocked my off my size 10.5/11 feet. Unreal. The things they do with the most basic ingredients such as tofu, rice and edamame I couldn't imagine they could be so full of flavor. So much so that I feel the need to figure out how to make some of these things at home.

Beyond the food, the people are so nice and polite, though I feel we got a bit of special treatment as gaijins. One thing that scared me a bit was the density of the crowds during the busy hours. I never met a city that could compete with New York in that way but Tokyo definitely wins. The will motor over anything that doesn't move fast enough, even the elderly are the same! ha.

I can't wait to go back again and explore the rest of the country. Though the sheer expanse of Tokyo itself is daunting. It's such a big city. BIG.

No comments: