Sunday, November 18, 2007

Japan Part 1

Hai! Whatsup party people. We're at the beginning of our second full day. Haven't had much chance to explore Tokyo since the plan is to explore the outskirts with Eri (Chika's sister) during the weekend before she has to go to work eventually...

Anyhoo, it has been pretty damn awesome so far. Alanna dozed off at dinner the first night since we were all supremely exhausted from our flight during most of which I didn't sleep at all. I officially hate American Airlines, the air hosts (aka the pc term for stewards and stewardesses) were old and cranky. I would have nothing against old if they weren't so damn cranky. Walter and I sat together and our damn video screens didn't work which actually ended up being a good thing since I finished Eat, Pray, Love during the flight. Getting into Narita (Tokyo's International Airport) was much less intimidating than what I imagine the reverse experience is for people coming into JFK where they bark and snarl at you as if you were making a run for the border. We spent yesterday in Kamakura, one of the most historical parts of Japan, which was unbelieveably picturesque. Ya'll will see what I'm talkin' about when you see the pics. I've already taken almost 200 pictures. I'm on a mission to find an image for this year's Christmas card after all! We saw the giant buddha, made lots of wishes, threw money into places for good luck, say shrines, temples, and ate some street food. ALL the street food has been spectacular so far. SPECTACULAR. Even the scary fish looked strangely edible though I dare not taste it. Without Chika and Eri I dare say it'd be MUCH harder getting around here, outside of Greece it may be the hardest place to get around without knowing the local language. Today (Monday AM) we're heading to Hakone where the hot springs are so we'll see how that goes. Nekkidness is required, eeek. We're staying there for an overnighter then the few days are all about Tokyo, Tokyo, Tokyo. Sorry this isn't as entertaining as ya'll might expect, there haven't been too many foibles just yet. Going grocery shopping at 7am and buying two bottles of wine and a bottle of sake might be a good highlight so far...

Ciao bellas! Sayonara. Until next time, or until I end up in a Japanese prison.

Oh yes, this means we've arrived safely. :)

No comments: