Wednesday, November 21, 2007

For relaxing times...

make it Suntory time.

We went to the Park Hyatt last night and I was the most physically relaxed than I have been in a good while. The view from the 52nd Floor was unbelieveable and the sheer expanse that is Tokyo really slaps you in the face. It truly is a GINORMOUS city, there was no end in any direction. Lights everywhere. The Park Hyatt has mastered the art of ambiance. The space was amazing and the vibe was just as it was in Lost in Translation. It was ridiculously expensive with 3 rounds of drinks and the cover charge but well worth it. A jazz band played some classics, we were in good company, and the view was so clear that you could just admire to your hearts content. Unreal. Personally, I didn't want to leave but the rest of the crew were hungry so we peaced but if anyone is coming to Tokyo I think it's definitely a mandatory stop.

So this trip has been quite the culinary adventure so far. Yesterday(Wednesday) we went to a branch of a restaurant where every dish uses tofu as an ingredient. It was a huge meal and probably my favorite so far. I've also rediscovered my love of red bean paste. So tasty but not overly sweet, a great dessert. I like the pace of meals here, because there is so much ceremony involved (in the fancier establishments) each course is paced out well. Each dish, cup, and utensil has their own place in the space in front of you and each are moved about seamlessly, effortlessly, and with the utmost grace on the part of the server. It's almost a show in itself. I'm obviously not used to this kind of service and the funny thing is is that they don't tip here. At all. So the servers aren't doing this for extra money, they're doing it because it's their job and there is a level of pride involved which I can respect as opposed to the servers in NY who do the barest of minimums (if that) and expect exorbitant amounts of money just for being there. It's a bit backwards.

Toilets. Yes, toilets. There is a covert (which may not actually be so covert) national obsession with toilets. I think some of these contraptions are more advanced than my iPod. There are buttons for spraying, oscillating, drying, it's unbelieveable. My favorite feature by far is heated seats. But even divey bars have clean hi-tech toilets. I mean, as a woman, it works wonderfully for me but it's a very interesting phenomena nonetheless.

No comments: