Monday, July 21, 2008

News Flash Walter Cronkite

I don't get it. I've been on the not-so-enviable receiving end of some unsolicited heckling and I've also witnessed other ladies getting harassed in the last week. The majority of the hecklers, I've noticed, are construction workers. Normally, it's flattering and I don't mind but last week I found it intrusive, unnecessary and annoying. It also made me wonder why it's mostly construction workers. Is it because they're peeping on the general populace all day long while they're working? Is it because they think they're giving women a confidence boost? Is it because they're bored? Is it some frat boy mentality? Does ANYONE know a construction worker they can ask? We all people-watch, I mean, it's the sport of New York but to feel the need to audibly comment all the time? I don't quite get it. Do they expect us to turn around and drop down to our knees to propose marriage? Really? I get that it's summer, and therefore open season on women in skimpy clothing but I guess I wonder why comments have to be vulgar and not just generally appreciative if they are to be made at all. I feel like that makes more sense. Wouldn't the average woman be more likely to respond to a 'hey beautiful' rather than 'oh my f*c*i*g god, look at that a*s' or 'those legs would break me.' I think the increasing level of vulgarity is whats prompted me to post this but I recognize I've got no control over any of it. Just wondering what other ladies thought in regards to heckling?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What if you heckled back, but in a non-flattering way?

alannajoy said...

This is what I think sista:
http://alannajoy.blogspot.com/2005/11/manhattan-mumblers.html

Bahooba! said...

that's a great response ajoy!