Saturday, March 22, 2008

Juno

Yes, I just watched it and no, i hadn't seen it yet. I think it's great. I don't think of it in terms of the Oscars or anything like that. It's a great film with heart. She reminds me of me in a way. Especially in her sense of humor. She's always got something to say. I like her name. I like her nickname. I like her dad. And I can empathize with her want of 'perfection' in the adoptive couple. I like that it wasn't about how teenage pregnancy can tear a family apart, but rather about how perhaps those who get pregnant at that age maybe be irresponsible but are not complete idiots when it comes to life. I like that it was about mac and cheese. I like that while it marginalizes dorkdom, it doesn't make it bad. At the core, the movie is about judgement or rather the lack of it. People going through life floating in and out of 'protocol' as they see fit. Because really, we don't need protocols. Really, we look to protocols more for precedent than anything else. Really, we just want a guide, a map, something that tells us how we 'should' react and do things because sometimes it's just easier that way. Especially when it's something we haven't experienced personally. There's nothing wrong with that. I think as long as you give yourself the freedom to veer off protocol as you see fit when you need it it's fine, i mean, having a map on hand has never hurt has it? Just don't think that you have to stick to it. I think it's important to FEEL free to walk down that side street and perhaps explore that alley even if you don't. Nothing is perfect, including maps. Plus I've found it's more fun sometimes when you just go.

1 comment:

alannajoy said...

true words b.. true words. i say we take our map and make a headway for the islnds on the left!